Hey Raiderland! Spring has almost “sprung” and the Campus Live team thought we would give you some fun ideas on cool things to do in the Lubbock area when you’re out in the nice weather, and not crammed in your room studying for midterms or finals.
- Sand Volleyball- What better way to soak up the sun than going to a local Hub City park or going to TTU’s Urbanovsky Park to play some sand volleyball with a few friends. Soak up the sun, get out there and get that adrenaline pumping.
- Louise Hopkins Center of the Arts Museum (LHCA)- Every first Friday of each month the LHCA museum puts on an art trail where all Lubbock locals can go observe, appreciate, take photos, and see really cool art created by people in the area. Check it out!
- Buffalo Springs Lake- Now in case you didn’t know, Lubbock has a lake about 20 minutes outside of town. Here you can rent boats, jets skis, and do lots of other fun things with your friends. So pack your bags, pack some yummy snacks and maybe some beers and go camp out with some friends or your family. They’ve recently done really cool renovations to their lake marina area along with water filtration initiatives as well.
- Swimming at the Rec- if you’re down to take a dip in the water, check out the TTU recreation center. They not only have an indoor pool but they also have a outdoor waterpark that will be opening up when the sun gets warmer. There’s a lazy river around the entire pool. That’s right, a lazy river. What other campus in the Big 12 has these types of amenities for students?
- 4ore Golf- If you’re into playing some fun golf games, or just hanging out at their bar, 4ore is a great hang out spot, especially with nicer weather on the horizon. They have yummy food, burgers, beer and more. We know how crazy the weather in West Texas can be so it might be helpful to mention they have temperature-controlled boxes. The atmosphere is fun and they also have live music on select nights. This is something Lubbock has needed for quite some time so get your things together and go visit this unique establishment.
- Holly Hop Ice Cream Shoppe- Holly Hop is a local ice cream shop that is super retro and cute. I recommend not only going for yummy ice cream but, maybe snagging a few pics for the ‘gram while you’re here. The ambiance will bring some cool nostalgia while enjoying some refreshing scoops.
- Two Docs Brewery- Looking for a place to expand your taste buds in beer? Two Docs Brewery has an assortment of unique flavors of beer. Stop by, taste a few, and enjoy a cold brew with one of your buddies or gal pals. They bring a cool new twist to Downtown Lubbock by offering both patio and inside seats, along with incorporating the food truck scene as experienced in bigger cities like Austin and Dallas. You have to go check out this new addition to central Lubbock for yourself.
- The Buddy Holly Center- This unique center is not just your typical place for exhibitions, but they base their art off of famous west Texas musical phenomenons. This place is a place to not only celebrate their visual creations and music, but the fine art that has come of it. If you’re from West Texas, don’t forget about our iconic legend in Buddy Holly. Make sure to take some time to get out and enjoy this establishment. You might even learn something new during your visit.
- Stars ‘n Stripes Drive In Movie- Spice up your regular movie dates by driving out to the Lubbock Drive In. Bring your own snacks, and maybe bring some friends and some comfy pillows and have yourself a fun little get together or a hot date with your significant other. You have to try their famous “Chihuahua” sandwich while you’re there. Springtime in West Texas can bring about some astonishing evenings with bright and beautiful stars, so what better way to enjoy it than visiting this establishment to soak it all in.
- Mackenzie Park- Pack up your picnic basket and take some time outdoors. Mackenzie Park is not only a very nice dog park but it is a very well maintained park that would be perfect for picnics. So stop by for a nice stroll, or go and try to feed some prairie dogs. Who can forget Lubbock’s only theme park being located here as well? Joyland offers very reasonable rates for families and Texas Tech students. They’ve recently added new rides to the park as well.
As you can see, the Lubbock area has a variety of fun activities you can do with friends, family, or maybe your significant other. Enjoy the nice weather, have a good time and don’t forget to check out our next upcoming feature. Quit saying there isn’t anything to do in Lubbock, get out and live a little.
Story by: Airielle Urias @airielleurias
Photo Credit: Anthony Rodriguez of Campus Live @a.rod._photos